Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Slowing Down During The Winter Season





Here in Perth, we’re smack bang in the middle of winter. While we've had minimal rainfall and stormy weather, the days have shortened, temperatures have dropped considerably and personally, I’ve found myself settling well and truly into a ‘hibernation phase’ as I procrastinate more than usual, cross fewer items off my to-do lists and spend any time at home comfortably in my ugg boots.

Back at the start of June, I read the winter chapter of Sara Avant Stover’s book ‘The Way Of The Happy Woman’. In it, she talks about listening to our bodies and trusting what they need at this time of year. She describes us becoming more introverted and quiet and ‘lazy’. At the time, I couldn’t see the connection between her words of wisdom and my own life, but as winter has progressed, I’ve realised this pattern is definitely characteristic of me.  Grey skies and cooler temperatures often leave me feeling uninspired and wanting to do little other than curl up by our heater with a book or my laptop.

Taking on board Sara's suggestion to use the winter season for deep rest and rejuvenation, I’ve decided to go with the flow at the moment…to expect less of myself and to use these months to slow down and engage in reflection.

Today was a beautiful winter's day.  After a quick grocery shop and a few chores were completed, Sophie and I took Asha for a lovely midday walk to soak up the sunshine.  My little one sat in the stroller enjoying a sandwich while I spent time really soaking in my surroundings, taking note of the beauty in things as simple as crimson tipped gum leaves by the side of the road and camellias growing in neighbour's gardens. The warmth of the sun on my back was gloriously comforting.  On the return leg, we collected a bunch of Geraldton Wax and some Grevillea and once home, after popping Sophie down for a nap, I made myself a bowl of soup with my homemade chicken broth followed by a nice hot cup of tea.    Simple winter pleasures that added such sprinkles of happiness to my day.

Do you find yourself slowing down in winter too?  Do you embrace it or look for ways to boost your energy levels and productivity?

10 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post Amanda! I'm actually the opposite and slow down in Summer because it's so hot here. But I love Winter and getting outside in the sun....when we get it hehe. Your walk sounds glorious and now I am really craving a nice bowl of soup and a little time just to sit and reflect. Have a lovely week and embrace that hibernation xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post brings me great comfort. I'm feeling like such a wintry hermit. Especially with a new baby. I feel like I'm neglecting my friends and a long list of things to do, but it just feels so right to stay in and take it easy!

    rachel xo

    ps it's absolutely pouring rain here right now. finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a homebody at the best of times... but winter makes me even more so! Having a winter baby is so lovely :)

      Delete
  3. Love this post Amanda. I soaked up every word. I'm still waiting to read this book (the library has promised to buy it in soon!). I love this time of year, especially when the days are bright. I haven't really thought about whether I feel like going inward more. Actually, I think (because the harsh summer sun doesn't always agree with me) I find winter quite energising. I find myself wanting to spend more time on the beach, more time walking (because the sun isn't beating down on me) and more time in the garden. Also because this is only my fourth winter here in Australia, the novelty of it hasn't worn off and probably never will. Winters in the UK dragged me down so much that there's a real bounce to my step when winter comes around here. But my food is always 'slower'. Lots of soups and warming dishes here too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa... it's nice to know someone has appreciated what I've written. Comfort foods are one of the best things about winter :)

      Delete
  4. I am trying very hard to join you, Amanda. This seems like such a sensible thing to do. I do find, though, that the cold invigorates me and I feel like I'm buzzing with ideas during Winter. I do need a rest though!

    Or soup. Soup would help immensely.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely slow down, particularly in the mornings. I like to stay in bed til the last possible moment, enjoying the warmth. And then like you, there is nothing quite as lovely as going outside and soaking up some Winter sunshine on those days it is out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have certainly seen myself slow down more this winter. I, too, am a homebody by nature so I am enjoying this time of year. Other than going to work, I am trying to keep weekends as quiet as I can. That book sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a book I need to read :) I had thought the laziness was just me, but it may be the season's way of making us slow down. I've been spending most days indoors, but not being terrible productive. But I guess that's not such a bad thing! Your day sounds like a perfect one to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really think that I need to buy that book it sounds very insightful and inspiring. I do love sitting down and soaking up the warm sun on a Winter's day as much as I adore snuggling up inside. I do wish that I had more energy though and have been trying to get some more sleep but haven't quite achieved that one yet. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment - it really makes my day!!